DSG transmission is one of the best gear transmissions for performance vehicles. However, this gear system requires constant maintenance for durability and high performance. The following is a guide of the best transmission fluids for DSG transmission vehicles.
Direct Shift Gearbox or DSG is a unique gear system found in vehicles under the Volkswagen group of cars. The transmission was introduced in 2003 for sport models or high-performance VW cars. It is known for merging the working of traditional automatic gearboxes and manual transmission. Because of this, DSG has a lot of advantages over regular automatic and manual transmission, especially for high performance. Among the greatest advantages it has is the fast-shifting of gears which is really important during high-speed racing. In fact, it shifts gears in a just hundredth of a second compared to a regular automatic gearbox.
For DSG transmission, constant high-quality maintenance is required. This is why DSG transmission fluids have very specific requirements in factors such as viscosity and purity. In the table below, we’ll compare some of the best fluids for your DSG gearbox.
Triax TRANSYN DSG/DCT Dual Clutch Full Synthetic ATF
- Trusted formulations that surpass all major Dual Clutch (DCT) OEM requirements; compatible with all DCT transmissions including...
- Specifically formulated for and compatible with use in the DPS6 power shift twin dry-clutch transmission requiring Ford...
- Exceptional gear grip and frictional stability; optimal frictional coefficient and fluidity for super-fast, flawless shifting;...
The Triax transmission fluid is designed or all DCT and DSG transmission vehicles. It is known for its versatility and use in many different car brands. These include VW, Audi, Mercedes Benz, Porsche, BMW as well as Ford. However in Ford, Triax is only used in DPS6 power shifts wuth dry clutch transmissions. Additionally, it is suitable for super performance cars such as Ferrari and Bugatti. This is what makes it one of the best transmission fluids for DSG in the market. Triax transmission fluid also excels when it comes to friction dynamics. It significantly reduces friction and consequently enhances gear grip. In turn, you get super-fast shifting gears and improved transmission all across the board.
Transmission fluids usually come with a lifespan after which you should change the fluid. The Triax offers one of the highest lifespan of 300 000 miles. The fluid also offers zero slippage and total compatibility with seal materials.
- Long lifespan of about 300 000 miles
- Offers zero slippage
- Compatible with so many car brands from VW to super cars like Bugatti
- Significantly reduces friction
- Compatible with all seal materials
- It is very engine specific
- Brand New Part
- Direct Replacement
- Genuine Part
As we mentioned before, DSG transmission is only found in vehicles under the Volkswagen group. The Genuine Transmission fluid is considered the best for VW and Audi cars with DSG gearboxes. In fact, it is made by the VW Company itself making it one of the best and safest choices for your vehicle. The fluid is designed to produce excellent friction stability with minimal to no slippage. On top of this, it is compatible with all seal materials. When it comes to viscosity, the Genuine Transmission fluid is rated as SAE 75W fluid which is ideal for extreme temperatures.
The product comes in a 1-liter bottle and weighs 5 pounds. It is also very affordable compared to other transmission oils. Additionally, this DSG fluid has a lifespan of 250 000 miles. With flawless gear shifts and smooth transmission, Genuine is one of the best fluids in the market.
- Ideal for VW and Audi
- Offers great stability
- Long lifespan of 250000 miles
- Made by Audi and VW
- Offers zero slippage
- Can only be used in VW and Audi DSGs
Motul 105786 Dual Clutch Transmission fluid
- Motul’s expertise addresses specific industrial constraints with high proficiency and innovative solutions.
- Our Passenger Car Product range protects and takes care of your vehicle for the duration of its life cycle.
- From the 8100, our 100% Synthetic oil line of products, to Coolants, Brake fluids, and Transmission lubricants, Motul offers you a...
The Motul brand has always been associated with high quality vehicle products. Here, we have one of the most commonly used fluid. It is designed or a large array of vehicle brands from VW, Audi, Skoda, BMW, Citroen among others. Overall, the fluid is ideal for any gear transmission that uses dual clutch mechanism. For BMW, this is known as DKG while for Nissan it is referred to as GR6. In addition, Motul fluid lasts up to 200 000 miles which isn’t too bad. On top of this, the fluid works well to minimize friction as well as slippage. The result is a smooth and stable gear transmission that allows for fast shifting ensuring you win all the races.
Furthermore, Motul 105786 fluid comes in a 1 liter bottle with a well-designed pouring spout that ensures there is no wastage when pouring. The following are it pros and cons
- Compatible with many car manufactures from VW to Nissan
- It ensures minimal slippage
- Reduces friction significantly
- Long lifespan of 200 000 miles
- Allows for smooth and stable transmission
RAVENOL J1D2111 ATF for DCT/DSG for Dual Clutch Transmissions
- Please see Product Description regarding the California Proposition 65 Warning
- Race-track proven fluid right out of the bottle for your vehicle! RAVENOL DCT/DSG transmission fluid is superior formulation...
- Proprietary formulation formulated and manufactured in GERMANY provides excellent lubricating ability and transmission function in...
There are a few ATF (Automatic Transmission Fluid) that are also suitable for DSG/DCT transmission. One of such fluids is the Ravenol J1D2111 fluid. This fluid has been designed to work for high performance DSGs as well as regular auto gearboxes. The Ravenol fluid is best known for its superb lubricating ability in both very high and very low temperatures. It is made with an advanced formula that ensures smooth transitions between gears and zero slippage. Furthermore, the fluid significantly increases torque and fuel mileage making it one of best transmission fluid out there.
Another reason you should consider this fluid is the excellent anti-wear and tear it provides. This prevents corrosion as well as oxidation especially in extremely hot conditions. The product is sold in three main packages: a 1 liter bottle, a 4 liter bottle and a dozen pack of 1 liter.
- Excellent anti-wear and tear
- Suitable for both ATF and DSG/DCT transmissions
- Long lifespan of 250000 miles
- Great for extreme weather conditions
- Improves torque and fuel efficiency
- Ravenol Fluid is the official supplier to the Audi Sport Germany TT Cup
- Quite expensive compared to other fluids
- Can only be used in VW and Audi vehicles
Best DSG Transmission Fluid – Buying Guide
When choosing transmission fluid, the best place to begin with is the owner’s car manual. This document provides all the specifications needed for transmission. If it is not available, the type of fluid needed is usually indicated on the dipstick.
- Synthetic vs conventional
There are two major types of transmission fluids: synthetic and conventional. Synthetic fluid contains significantly less impurities making it better in quality compared to conventional fluids.
Because of this, you will find that synthetic fluids are more costly. However, the extra money is worth it as it provides better and more stable performance at very high or low temperatures. When it comes to DSG gearboxes, only synthetic fluid can be used.
On the other hand, we have conventional fluid.
This is great for older vehicle models where synthetic fluid has never been used. If you have an old car or an old model that has always been using conventional fluid, changing to a synthetic fluid will actually do more harm to your gearbox.
- ATF vs DSG
ATF stands for Automatic Transmission Fluid. It is transmission fluid for regular automatic transmission vehicles.
Many drivers still wonder if ATF can be used in place of DSG fluid and the simple answer is NO.
However, there are a few ATF that work for DSG and DCT but majority do not. Overall, it is not recommended to use ATF on DSG transmission especially when you’ve always used DSG fluid for your car.
Using the wrong fluid for your car can have awful effects from overheating to catching fire in extreme cases.
On top of this, wrong fluid critically damages the gearbox and causes total failure of the transmission box
How often should I change my DSG transmission fluid?
Most car owner’s manual indicate that you should change transmission fluid after every 30000 to 40000 miles. However, this is only true if you have insufficient transmission fluid or you have a very high performance super car. The truth is that today, we have a lot of high quality transmission fluids such as the ones we’ve reviewed today that offer between 200 000 and 300 000 miles before requiring fresh fluid.
Can Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) be used in DSG?
A few ATF can be used for DSG transmission. However, majority of ATF are not compatible with DSG
How long do DSG gearboxes last?
With proper maintenance, most DSG gearboxes last between 100000 and 150000 miles
What color is DSG fluid?
DSG fluids are amber in color
In conclusion, DSG gearboxes require proper maintenance to continue providing the high performance as well as durability. Always ensure you know the best specification for your car to choose the right fluid.